Join our team of hospitality stars
We are always looking for superstars
If you want to make us part of your daily life, join our team. Our staff is committed to serving guests and to preserving our magical historic setting.
- Dinner Cook
- Housekeeper/Kitchen Assistant
If you are a food service professional looking to work with like-minded folks to craft creative, healthy menus with local, organic ingredients we may have an opportunity for you to shine.
The Balch Hotel, a historic, boutique hotel located in the eastern end of the Columbia Gorge, continues to expand our guest offerings for meals. The ideal candidate will work with the owners to expand and implement a high-quality menu and motivate our staff to continue to provide award-winning guest service.
Responsibilities include maintaining the restaurant’s revenue, profitability and quality goals. You will ensure efficient restaurant operation, as well as maintain high production, productivity, quality, and customer-service standards.
Responsibilities include creating recipes, setting up menus and preparing high-quality dishes. You should be able to delegate tasks to kitchen and dining room staff to ensure meals are prepared and delivered in a timely manner. Also, you should be familiar with sanitation regulations.
We’ll expect you to lead by example and uplift our staff during busy moments in our fast-paced environment. Ultimately, you will ensure our restaurant runs smoothly and customers have pleasant dining experiences.
Being a small hotel with variable weekly and seasonal occupancy and staffing needs, flexibility and cross-training to other departments’ tasks will be necessary. Individuals who thrive in a no drama, positive, guest service-centered work environment are strongly encouraged to apply.
Ultimately, you’ll prepare and deliver a complete menu that delights our guests.
- Coordinate daily Front of the House and Back of the House restaurant operations
- Deliver superior service and maximize customer satisfaction
- Respond efficiently and accurately to customer concerns
- Ensure compliance with all health and safety regulations within the kitchen area
- Monitor food stock and place orders
- Check freshness of food and discard out-of-date items
- Experiment with recipes and suggest new ingredients
- Regularly review product quality and research new vendors
Other duties expected at our guest-first establishment:
- Interact with guests to ensure all needs are met, whether related to meals or any other part of their stay.
- Assist other staff with various guest service needs such as laundry, answering phones and housekeeping.
- Hours vary by season: Spring/Summer: Approximately 40 hours per week
- Days will vary but include weekends
- Shift hours will vary
- Must be willing to work evenings and holidays
- [Shifts are approximations and depend on hotel needs - not guaranteed]
This position combines a couple of roles to focus on cleanliness and safety. Our ideal team member:
- Is flexible, with a positive and friendly attitude\
- Communicates and effectively works with others as a team
- Hard worker (climbing stairs and carrying 40-50 lbs)
- Detail oriented, looks for items that need cleaning
- Brings best self to work (drama-free lifestyle)
- Follows written and oral instructions, takes initiative
Our housekeepers are part of our team that provides world-class guest service. You will assist guests when necessary. Duties include:
- Waiting tables for breakfast
- Dish washing and kitchen clean up
- Housekeeping which includes rigorous movement, bending, lifting
- Laundry, washing, drying folding and pressing linens
- Setting up and taking down tables and chairs outdoors for events
Duties also will include food service, yard work and luggage handling. Pretty much anything that makes the place nicer.
Part of tip pool shared by all team members
Part time-hours vary by season: summer-fall 40+ hours, winter-spring 15-25 hours
Days will vary but include weekends.
Shift hours will vary.
Must be willing to work evenings and holidays.
[Shifts are approximations and also depend on hotel needs - not guaranteed]
- Previous experience in industry or position preferred.
- Ability to lift 50-60 pounds.
- Ability to climb stairs (three story building-no elevator).
- Food Handlers Permit.
Hours per Week: Approximately 20-30/week until June then 40 + through October. This position is: Seasonal
HOW TO APPLY
Please email or stop by the address below.
The Historic Balch Hotel
40 South Heimrich Street
PO Box 5
Dufur OR 97021
We are changing the way business is done
Be a part of our vision
The Balch Hotel is a unique, boutique hospitality experience that joins the stunning natural beauty of the Columbia River Gorge with local, sustainable, community-centered resources in an elegant, historic, retreat-like setting.
- Exceptional Hospitality
- Elegance and Beauty
- Connection and Community
- Sustainability and Environment
- Creativity and Possibility
We are a regional destination that magnetizes visionary thinkers and leaders who need a place to relax and restore themselves. We provide amazing experiences of reconnection that allow our hotel, retreat and wedding guests’ lives to flourish. We embrace a new model for sustainable, collaborative, visionary business that honors work/life balance.